Birds of a Feather Flock Together – Call for volunteers
Biom is looking for 4 international volunteers to help save endangered bird populations and raise awareness about nature conservation, while staying 10 months in beautiful Croatia.
The ‘Birds of a Feather Flock Together’ project provides you with a unique chance to explore hidden landscapes during ornithological fieldwork, learn about public education and awareness-raising, and build solidarity between people and nature while contributing to a number of crucial conservation projects.
Date: 25.01.2021 – 30.11.2021
Apply if you are:
- A young person 18 to 30 years old from the EU Member States or one of these countries;
- Enthusiastic about sharing your passion for nature;
- Open-minded and ready to communicate with a wide range of people of all ages and backgrounds;
- Comfortable with public speaking;
- Capable of living and working both independently and as part of a team;
- Flexible and dynamic, will be happy working irregular hours and moving between small communities within Croatia for the duration of the project;
- Reasonably physically fit, capable of working on rough, rocky, and steep terrain in all extremes of weather;
- Comfortable working outdoors at night, around water, and from boats;
- Comfortable participating in small mammal eradication tasks (such as rodenticide trapping) for the purpose of endangered bird conservation;
- Able to communicate in English or Croatian;
- Valid European driving license is desirable, but not essential.
- We encourage people with fewer opportunities (not in employment, education or training; facing educational, economic, cultural, health, social or geographical obstacles) to apply.
- Find out more about ESC and your eligibility here.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Participating in nature conservation fieldwork and bird care activities;
- Organizing of and participation in educational, awareness-raising, and community building activities;
- Speaking and presenting in public;
- Coordination of international and local volunteers;
- Creating educational and promotional content – biodiversity-related educational articles, infographics, and other content for social media and organization websites;
- Participation in day-to-day communal activities relating to fieldwork or life at camp such as data recording, cooking, and cleaning;
- Developing an individual project.
We offer you the opportunity to:
- Volunteer in motivational, dynamic, flexible, and friendly working environments;
- Learn about birds and nature conservation from our specialists;
- Develop communication, leadership, and organizational skills;
- Deliver creative events or online content for the promotion of nature conservation;
- Interact with a wide range of people from different countries and backgrounds;
- Travel around Croatia and learn the language during a course with native speaker.
- The volunteers will have shared or individual (depending on circumstances) accommodation provided at every working location during their project. Many of these locations will be isolated or in very small communities of people.
- All travel costs relating to the project incurred by the volunteers will be reimbursed.
- The volunteers will get a pre-determined monthly allowance (pocket money) and money to cover their food expenses.
If you are interested, you can apply by completing the following two steps:
- Fill in online application form found here. After completing it, you will receive it in the PDF form on your email address.
- Send your CV and filled-in application form in PDF to [email protected] indicating that you are applying for the ‘Birds of a Feather Flock Together’ project.
Application deadline is 8th November 2020.
We will contact only pre-selected candidates for an online interview, no later than on 13th November.
Get more information here: Call for volunteers_Birds of a Feather Flock Together